For many homeowners, selling their current property and finding their next home can seem like a daunting experience. But, it doesn’t need to be. In fact, the process can be smooth and relatively easy, even fun, if you do the right things.
Consider these tips:
1. Create a profile of your next dream home. If possible, get the whole family involved in this exercise. Turn it into a fun game.
2. Learn the steps involved in selling and buying. Don’t be shy about asking questions. The less mysterious the process seems, the more likely you are to enjoy the experience.
3. Visit neighbourhoods you’d like to live in. Explore the area. Go for walks. Imagine living there.
4. Clean out all the clutter and other unwanted items from your home. This not only makes the house more comfortable for you and your family, it also makes it look better to buyers.
5. Don’t do everything on your own. Get help. If you need a repair person, housecleaner, contractor or pet sitter, hire one. Lessen the workload so you can enjoy the adventure.
6. Plan fun things to do away from home during buyer viewing appointments.
7. Keep a “moving calendar” and schedule appointments, tasks and other activities carefully. The more organized you are, the less stress you’ll feel.
Of course, the best way to make moving fun is to work with a good real estate agent – someone who knows how to sell your property successfully and can make the process go smoothly.