If you’re shopping for a new home, you’ll likely be looking for a property that has been well cared for by its owners. A home that is in a good state of repair and may even be “move-in ready,” can ultimately save you time and money.
A well looked after property often has the following characteristics:
• No scuffs and dents on walls that look like they’ve been there for years.
• Major appliances are in good working order.
• Caulking around the bathroom tub or shower looks solid with no cracks, breaks or yellowing from water infiltration.
• The flooring looks clean and well-maintained. (If there is carpeting, it looks like it has been regularly vacuumed.)
• Proper lighting is installed and working in all areas.
• Seals around windows look good with no sign of air infiltration.
• Exterior landscaping is well groomed.
Besides those traits, a well-maintained property will tend to make a great impression. In some cases, you’ll think, “Wow, the owner really took care of this place.” Trust that instinct. It’s probably true!